Why? On top of being ultra-tasty, it is rich in calcium and promotes bone health without containing dairy (yes, it is possible!). It’s also perfect for those who have trouble digesting traditional pesto, in fact arugula is known for its digestive properties.
Like normal pesto use it to top your pasta, rice dishes, vegetables and entrées.
- 80 g of arugula
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- ½ – 2/3 cup almonds
- 3 large sundried tomatoes chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Around ½ cup Extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Blend almonds until they form a powder.
- Chop arugula.
- Place all ingredients (other than arugula) in blender.
- Blend until texture is smooth.
- Add the chopped arugula and blend until texture is as desired.
Food as medicine
Arugula, also known as rocket was seen by ancient Romans and Egyptians as an aphrodisiac. Today modern science does not bother so much with these things but does confirm it to be a good source of:
- Vitamins A, C and K
- Dietary Fiber
- Calcium and more!
As a bitter green it also encourages good digestion and helps cleanse the liver.