If you have ever read the ingredients on a store bought quiche you’ve probably already classified quiche as an unhealthy food.
Quiche has gained a bad reputation for being extremely high in saturated fat and cholesterol due to its high cream and cheese content, buttery crust and ham. If you are health and/or weight coincient, you can rejoice and start eating quiche again as this healthy dairy-free version contains only the healthy fats your body needs and loves.
Although this is no 20-minute-or-less recipe, you’ll be amazed at how easy it is to make, its also a meal you can make a day or 2 in advance and simply heat up in the oven when you are ready to eat it. You’ll also be happy to know that this quiche crust takes no more than 5 minutes to make and contains only a small amount of healthy olive oil and high quality whole grain flour rather than white refined flour.
The main thing that makes traditional quiche a calorie bomb is its heavy cheese and cream content. This recipe gets your taste buds going with healthy ingredients such as yummy smoked salmon and seasonal vegetables. Eat this on its own as a small meal or pair it with a simple soup or salad. Hurrah, quiche is back on the menu!
- 1 large leak
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 generous handfuls of spinach
- 1 medium grated zucchini
- 4 large eggs
- Sprinkle nutmeg
- 80 g smoked salmon
- ½ cup sugar-free almond or soy milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup cold refrigerated water
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C)
- Grease 20-25 cm pie mould with olive oil
- Mix flour and salt
- Beat oil and water with fork to thicken
- Pour oil mix in flour and mix with fork
- Flatten dough with a roller to make it flat and wide enough for pie mould
- Press dough into pie mould
- Chop leak and spinach, mince garlic
- In an oiled frying pan, heat leak, garlic, spinach and zucchini until all ingredients are almost cooked but still crispy
- Beat 4 eggs, add milk and nutmeg
- Cut smoked salmon into pieces and put on pie crust
- Add cooked vegetables on pie crust
- Pour egg mixture in pie crust, spreading all ingredient evenly
- Cook in oven for 30-40 minutes